Petition to Conduct CBI Enquiry into Murder of Dr J A Mathan

Thursday, 24 February 2011

Minor Boy killed for marriage snub by relatives

Minor Boy killed for marriage snub by relatives
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110225/jsp/siliguri/story_13632330.jsp
Malda, Feb. 24: The father of a boy who was found hacked to death today has alleged that the murder was the fallout of a marriage proposal that he had rejected for his 14-year-old son.

Sujit Mondol’s body was found in a field in the Bahanno Bigha area of town, barely 500 metres from his home. The boy was a painter in a workshop that manufactured steel almirahs.

Kanto Mondol, a farmer, alleged that his son-in-law Sukumar Mondol and his father were behind Sujit’s murder. Of late, Sukumar’s father Rajen, who owned the almirah workshop, had been insisting that the boy get married to his daughter. “I refused to get my son married off as he was still a minor and we used to have frequent arguments over the issue,” Kanto had told police. Since then Sukumar and his family had been threatening the boy with dire consequences.

Sujit’s uncle Agu Mondol said last night Galia Mondol and Makhan Mondol, who also worked at the almirah workshop, had come to look for the boy. They left with Sujit around 8pm. “Sujit did not come home at night. We searched for him. Around 8am today, we were told that Sujit’s body had been found,” Agu said.

Malda police chief Bhuban Mondol said: “The father of the victim has named two persons who had called his son out of the house last evening. He had also complained to the Englishbazar police that Rajen and one of his sons, Suren, had been threatening Sujit.” Sources said the police conducted raids this morning but the accused were not at home.

No comments: